Saturday, November 03, 2007

Posting on a Saturday

I think this is the first time I have ever posted on a Saturday. Since I'm too lazy to check, we'll just assume I am right.

Nothing too exciting happened today. I woke up with a monster headache, which was somewhat convenient since I had an acupuncture appointment this morning. I say convenient because by the end of my appointment my headache was gone, as usual.

I have been doing really well with the whole givingup dairy thing. I rarely even miss it. It's also been good for the diet, I've even dropped a couple of pounds, which is a nice side effect of my whole experiment. So, I am definitely going for a whole month of no dairy and then I will slowly start adding it back into my diet to see just how much it affects my allergies. But, I have realized just how many foods I add cheese to that don't need it - very rarely have I thought that what I was eating needed cheese added to it.

While waiting for my acupuncturist this morning, I had this very clear memory from when I was a little girl. See, I was alone in the room and I noticed a clogged pore on my forearm, so I of course had to mess with it. When I was little, my father used to rock me to sleep almost every night in the same cream colored rocking chair in the living room. It was my favorite part of the day, sitting on my fathers lap, feeling so secure and comfortable and loved. One night he had some glue stuck in his arm hair in the same spot that I had a clogged pore today. I remember my sister trying to get the glue out for him.

I know this isn't an exciting memory, but it was such a strong memory for me this morning. It just made me pause for a moment and think about how lucky I am to have been raised by two parents, who thought nothing of reading to me, rocking me to sleep and leaving the night light on for me since I was afraid of the dark.

Sometimes, it takes weird moments in life to realize just how lucky I am.

On another note - here is Sammy the pumpkin I carved with Angela at work this year. Can you believe we didn't win the contest?


No comments: