Monday, November 12, 2007

I Remember

I should have posted this yesterday -

My father is a Vietnam Veteran. He doesn't talk much about it. He's showed us pictures, I have the camera he bought before he came home and he still has some money from there, but no real stories about what it was like.

I do know that he got drunk with some friends and tried to sign up for the Airborne Division because jumping out of a plane sounded fun, but found out that they had already been assigned somewhere else.

I also know that he once got sunburned so badly on the beach they almost threw him in "the brig" (or whatever you call it) for not being able to perform his duties.

But the biggest thing I remember is when we went to Washington D.C. when I was in the 9th grade, my Dad tried to find the names of his two best friends that died in Vietnam.

He couldn't find them.

He cried.

It was the second time in my life that I had seen my Dad cry.

I can't figure out a way to end this. I just hope that people actually stop and take a moment to remember what Veterans Day is all about. Not just a free day from school or work, but a day to think about those people who aren't so lucky as to have someone try and find their name on a memorial.

No comments: