Wednesday, November 11, 2009

NaBloPoMo Day 11

It's Veteran's Day. A day where most people just enjoy the day off from work or school. I'm the first to admit I don't spend a lot of time thinking about our Veterans, but I do give them passing thought several times today. Happy that they are there so I may enjoy my freedoms (even if I don't agree with the war, I still support the troops).

My Father is a Vietnam Vet. As he get's older he tells us more stories about this time in his life, something I never thought I would see. He used to not talk much about it and would brush off any questions we used to ask.

I've shared here before that one of the few times I have seen my Father cry was when we were at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall in DC and he couldn't find his friends names he so desperately wanted to find.

So today I think about my Dad and the fact that he very easily could have been dismissed from the draft since he was the only living son in his family. But he didn't, even though it made me Grandma so mad. He proudly went to serve his country.

And I proudly write of him on this day.

Dad, I love you.

And a great big thank you to the people who serve. We don't do enough to support you.

No comments: