Tuesday, November 10, 2009

NaBloPoMo Day 10

Several times over the past few of weeks, I have had people comment that I had better not cut all of my hair off. I know they've meant it as a compliment, but I still find this an odd thing to say to someone.

Because, if you know me, you know that at some point, this hair is all going away and will be donated to a good cause.

I've always functioned under the "it's hair, it will grow back, that's what it does" theory in life, probably because I have messed up my own hair on several occasions and needed to cut a chunk of it off to get rid of damaged hair. But still, it's just hair! It grows back! That's what it's made to do!

But now, knowing that these people feel this way, what am I supposed to do with this information? I'm a very stubborn person who does not like being told what to do with my personal appearance. Comments like this make the inner teenager in me want to grab the nearest pair of scissor and hack away.

The truth of the matter is that I have no desire to cut my hair right now. I'm very lucky in that my hair grows quite fast, so even though I love short haircuts, it just costs me too much money in upkeep. That's the same reason I am no longer a redhead, too much upkeep. I am a very lazy person when I can get away with it. Plus, being able to pull all of my hair back for running is a very good thing. The last time I had short hair I also had to deal with sweat dripping off of it and down my back. That is a very gross feeling and I didn't enjoy it one bit.

But the fact still remains that I enjoy short hair and will some day try it out again. Much to some people's dismay.

I wore a wig to work the Friday before Halloween. It was so much more fun that I expected it to be and ties in quite nicely with the people who are afraid I will cut my hair. I'm fascinated at the people who fear change. The people that I thought would not find my wig funny where in fact quite enamored of how different I could look with just a change in hairstyle. Other people were very upset at the idea that I had cut off/died my hair a completely different color and were very relieved to discover it was a wig.

I'm not saying these people fear change altogether, it could be that they just really didn't like my wig. But again, I'm fascinated with these people who think I shouldn't cut my hair. The next time someone says this to me, I'm going to have to pry into their reasons for saying such things.

No comments: