Monday, January 07, 2008

De-Clutter-ing

The Boyfriend and I spent this weekend embarking on a new project, the rampant, ruthless and somewhat painful decluttering of our apartment.

We have been wanting to do this for awhile now and this weekend seemed like as good as time to start as any other time.

It's part of a new way I'm trying to view the world and our apartment. I have been following quite a few blogs on green living over the past few months and they really have me thinking about my lifestyle. The Boyfriend and I try not to live above our means, but that hasn't stopped us from collecting tons of junk. It doesn't help that we both come from families that don't get rid of stuff. A habit that we are trying to break. Well, I should say, a habit I am trying to break and The Boyfriend is along for the ride (mostly willingly). And I'm taking a serious look at how I shop/spend money.

I have reached a point in my life where I just don't want to have attachments to things. Obviously, I like my stuff, but I have boxes of things I am saving and for what? For when I have a bigger home? But even if I potentially could have a bigger place to live, I fear I would just fill it with more stuff.

Another thing that is fueling this "getting rid of stuff" thing I've got going on is an article I read recently that said scientists have definitively connected people who are overweight with people who live in a cluttered environment. This makes a lot of sense to me. I feel like I am really ready to make sure I am healthy and that the place I live is healthy - which means less crap all around, which means we might actually dust every once in awhile which would be a very good thing for me since I am seriously allergic to dust.

So, yeah. Change. I love it. I embrace it.

No comments: