Monday, August 15, 2005

Oh Please, Tell Me More

If one more person tells me that I "look sunburned", I will scream.

If one more person tells me how I "need to use sunscreen", I will not be held responsible for my actions.

I can't begin to tell you the number of times in my life I have been lectured by complete strangers on how I should care for my pale skin. Do you think my skin just turned this color yesterday? I know more about sunscreen and sunburn cures than you would ever care to know about.

For God's sake people, just because I am pale doesn't mean you have the right to tell me about sunscreen. TRUST ME I KNOW ALL ABOUT IT. And also, I use A LOT of it already, and there are just times when I will look pink. Like today. Because my allergies are killing me, I have been fighting off a headache/migraine all weekend, and the color of shirt I am wearing makes me normally pale-as-hell skin look a little pink.

It does not however, mean that I don't use sunscreen. It does not mean I am burned. It does not mean that I am going to politely stand here and listen to you tell me how important it is that I use sunscreen. I FUCKING KNOW HOW IMPORTANT IT IS.

God, when did people decide that my skin health is any of their concern? And really, am I supposed to be happy that people with skin the color of leather are telling me that I need to use sunscreen. People, let's compare my white ass to your tan one and then let's talk about who needs to know more about sun-safety.

Yes, I am grumpy. Yes, I should just accept their advice and leave. But I don't. So there.

No comments: