Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentine Shmalentine

I think I write about this every single year, but I'm not a huge fan of Valentine's Day.

It's not that I am in a relationship with some horribly unromantic person, it's not that I'm bitter or that the jewelry store commercials make me want to stab someone. It's that I think it's sad we as a society have to have 1 day FORCED on us to make us show the people we love how much we love them.

I know I'm lucky in that Robb is quite good at doing very sweet things for me throughout the year and I make sure I do the same. Because we believe that that's what makes a good relationship, couples that don't hold back on expressing how they feel until Hallmark tells them when it's right to do so. Nothing makes me happier than when I come home from work to discover Robb has made dinner, has music playing and lit candles on the table. Small gesture, I know and yet it touches me more than any present. Because he did it for me. And I usually have no idea it's coming, just a surprise for when I walk through the door.

And yes, we still celebrate Valentine's day in our own way. For the past several years we've made each other cards and had a nice dinner at home (don't even get me started on going out to dinner on this day). This year we're in the midst of trying to get a new online show up and running plus we're housesitting, so we might go out to breakfast or something. Or not do anything at all. I don't care.

Although honestly, my idea of the perfect Valentine's Day right now just means a day in which I get to take a very long nap.

But, every year, I wonder if maybe there's something wrong with me. Maybe I'm missing some sort of "girly gene" that makes it so I crave diamonds and chocolates. And then I realize, the stupid commercials sort of work and I get angry all over again. Because I don't crave diamonds. I don't want chocolate (I'm perpetually trying to lose weight). I don't need a card to know you love me.

No comments: